Pastor Norselles Holmes, III was born June 16, 1965 to the late Rev. Norselles Holmes, Jr., and Doris Davis Holmes in Oak Ridge, Louisiana. God transitioned him from his earthly home to his heavenly mansion on December 13, 2018 surrounded by loving family and friends.
Pastor Holmes was a Delta High School, Class of 1983 graduate. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Grambling State University, Grambling, Louisiana in 1991.
At the age of six, Pastor Holmes accepted Christ as his Savior and united with Alexandria #1 Missionary Baptist Church under the leadership of the late Rev. Lee Edward Armstrong. When he was twenty-two years old, Pastor Holmes submitted to the will of God and acknowledged his “Call into the Preaching Ministry”. He was licensed to preach in 1988 and ordained in 1990. In July 1993 he was elected as pastor of The Evergreen Missionary Baptist Church of Bastrop, LA. God blessed his ministry for eight years at Evergreen and then in 2001 God elevated him to become the Senior Pastor of the New Jerusalem #2 Missionary Baptist Church.
Throughout Pastor Holmes’ christian journey, he served in the following capacities:
• Vice-President of Morehouse Baptist Educational Association, Inc. Parent Body.
• Northeast Regional Vice-President of Greater Louisiana Baptist Convention, Inc.
• Served as Congress President of Morehouse Baptist Educational Association, Inc.
• Served as Vice President of the Morehouse Ministerial Alliances.
• Served as Vice Moderator of Christian Education for the Morehouse Baptist District Missionary Educational Association, Inc.
• Past Bible lecture for the Morehouse Baptist District Missionary Educational Association, Inc.
• Member of the National Baptist Convention USA.
• Member of the Louisiana Baptist Convention.
Pastor Holmes was united in holy matrimony to Gwendolyn Ruth Luckett on December 22, 1990. To this union three children were born: Destin Holmes, Olivia Holmes & Shalia Holmes.
He is preceded in death by: his father, Rev. Norselles Holmes, Jr., and daughter, Adrienne M. Winston.
He leaves to cherish his life and legacy: wife of twenty-eight (28) years – Gwendolyn R. Holmes of Monroe, LA; five children; mother, Doris Davis Holmes of Oak Ridge, LA; seven siblings; a host of loving close-knit nieces and nephews; a loving, dedicated and devoted New Jerusalem #2 Missionary Baptist Church Family; other relatives and friends.
Visitation Friday, December 21, 2018 4:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. New Jerusalem #2 Missionary Baptist Church, 1655 Martin Luther King-South, Bastrop, LA. Funeral Saturday, December 22, 2018 1:00 p.m. Morehouse Baptist Educational Association Building, 8420 Collinston Road, Bastrop, LA. Interment Richwood Memorial Gardens (Monroe, LA). Repast New Jerusalem #2 MBC Life Center.
PSA – The Family has requested that no pictures or live streaming during the visitations nor the funeral services. Please be courteous and respectful of the family during this difficult time. Thank you.